Tuesday 27 September 2016

Clear GPS metadata from an image

In March 2012 I wrote a blog titled, GPS Information in photos. In it I describe how to extract and resolve Exif GPS data to a map reference. Recently I wrote an update to that blog that included how to clear metadata from an image. Essentially, the two methods I would use are:

(1) Using ImageMagick with

convert gps.jpg -strip stripped.jpg

This  appears to re-compress the JPEG image which may not be what you want.

(2) So, there is an alternative tool such as the exiv2 utility.
I've not used this myself, but it seems to have great command line options.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I blog frequently and I truly thank you for your information. This great article has really peaked my interest.
I am going to take a note of your blog and keep checking for new details about
once a week. I opted in for your Feed too.