Saturday 8 February 2014

Update on Debian with Lenovo X1 Carbon

On my previous post, I noted that the X11 trackpad customisations. Since then I have implemented the SSD optimisation recommendations as recommended here. I'll give a summary below, where detailed notes on my configuration are here.
Firstly are /etc/fstab options to reduce writes:
# /dev/sda1
UUID=??? / ext4 discard,noatime,commit=600,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda5 (swap)

UUID=??? swap swap sw,discard 0 0
Next, reduce swappiness. Add to /etc/sysctl.conf
# optimise for SSD

vm.swappiness = 0
Finally, use the deadline scheduler. In /etc/udev/rules.d/60-ssd-scheduler.rules


# Only sda is SSD, see https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization
# set deadline scheduler for non-rotating disks
ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="sd[a-z]", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="0", ATTR{queue/scheduler}="deadline"
In my case I need only do this on the sda device.
Please read my document on this as it provides extra information and links.

No comments: